Yield – 2.5 cups
- 1 can Eden organic white navy beans (796 ml)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 tsp seas salt
- 4 Tbsp black sesame seed butter ( I made my own by processing black sesame seeds in the food processor for 7 min until the seeds turn to a paste)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup BodyBio Balance oil or Safflower oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts (optional)
- Roasted plantains, carrots, and jicama to serve – optional
- Gather a food processor and combine navy beans, lemon, garlic, black sesame seed butter, salt, cumin, and Balance oil. Process until completely smooth. Add chopped cilantro and pulse to combine.
- Pour into a bowl and top with help hearts. (if using) Serve with your favourite chopped vegetables. I love this hummus with roasted plantain chips!
Black sesame seeds provide us with an extensive list of health benefits. From improving skin and hair health to helping protect against cardiovascular disease and even cancer. We can thank the bounty of antioxidants that black sesame seeds provide us for the protective benefits that ward off a whole host of chronic illnesses and diseases.
Antioxidants play an important role in slowing the rate of cell damage and repairing the damaged cells in the body. Black sesame seeds are an extremely rich source of a variety of antioxidants such as sesamin, sesaminol, and sesamolinol. These powerful compounds in black sesame seeds help protect the body against oxidative stress, the very thing that leads to chronic illness and disease. If you want to kickstart cellular repair and prevent cell damage, these little nutrition powerhouses should be one of your closest food allies. 🙂
Justine Stenger studied nutrition and physical education at the University Of Alberta. She graduated in 2008 and went on to complete a Holistic Nutrition and Therapeutic Chef Certification at Bauman College in Boulder, Colorado. She has completed her Functional Medicine training with The Institute For Functional Medicine, is a Bredesen Trained Practitioner, GAPS Practitioner, Certified Gluten Practitioner, and is a Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach through The Institute For Functional Medicine.