- 1 large orange fleshed sweet potato or white sweet potato (white sweet potatoes are better if you want to use this recipe in a savoury application)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup cassava flour plus additional flour for dusting
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 tsp sea salt
- optional – 1/2 tsp onion salt & 1/2 tsp of garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Poke sweet potato with a fork and place on a parchment lined baking tray. Bake for 50-60 min or until soft.
- Remove skin from sweet potato and mash with ghee. Add water, cassava flour and salt. (and onion and garlic salt if using)
- Add flour to your counter top and roll out dough until it’s one inch thick. Use a small plate and cut around the plate to form uniform circles.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on low/medium and add additional flour to ensure the roti’s don’t stick. Cook for 10-12 per side or until golden brown. Fill with your favourite toppings.
Orange fleshed sweet potatoes not only taste like dessert, they are also one of natures unsurpassed sources of beta carotene. Along with beta carotene, they contain a wealth of other orange hued carotenoid pigments. There are studies that show that sweet potatoes contain more bioavailable carotenoids than leafy green vegetables! When consumed regularly they have been shown to significantly raise blood levels of vitamin A. The fat that is included in this recipe will help get the full benefits of the beta carotene that is found in this delicious vegetable. This recipe can easily be used to satiate sweet or savoury cravings. I enjoy these roti with fresh berries and whipped coconut cream or with my favourite Indian beef with green peas. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!
Justine Stenger studied nutrition and physical education at the University Of Alberta. She graduated in 2008 and went on to complete a Holistic Nutrition and Therapeutic Chef Certification at Bauman College in Boulder, Colorado. She has completed her Functional Medicine training with The Institute For Functional Medicine, is a Bredesen Trained Practitioner, GAPS Practitioner, Certified Gluten Practitioner, and is a Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach through The Institute For Functional Medicine.