This Orange Pulled Chicken is extremely healthy and easy to make! The citrusy sauce is super flavorful and will definitely have you piling seconds onto your plate! This recipe is gluten and dairy free.
This delicious recipe was contributed by our Health Coach, Justine Stenger.
- 3 lbs chicken thighs or legs
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp Italian spice blend
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- 5 navel oranges
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1-2 heads red leaf lettuce
- Gather a high powered blender and puree oranges, ginger, thyme, Italian spice blend and lime juice.
- Heat a large stock pot and add orange juice/herb mixture
- Remove the skin from the chicken thighs or legs and place them in your stock pot with the orange juice/herb mixture.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 45-55 min, or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from juice and bring the juice to a boil, cooking it down to a concentrate.
- Once the chicken has cooled, pull the meat off the bone and place in a mixing bowl. Pour orange juice/herb mixture over the chicken and add cilantro. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Serve in red leaf lettuce cups or cabbage cups. Top with green onion and serve immediately.
Note: The chicken can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Justine Stenger studied nutrition and physical education at the University Of Alberta. She graduated in 2008 and went on to complete a Holistic Nutrition and Therapeutic Chef Certification at Bauman College in Boulder, Colorado. She has completed her Functional Medicine training with The Institute For Functional Medicine, is a Bredesen Trained Practitioner, GAPS Practitioner, Certified Gluten Practitioner, and is a Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach through The Institute For Functional Medicine.