This Orange Pulled Chicken is extremely healthy and easy to make! The citrusy sauce is super flavorful and will definitely have you piling seconds onto your plate! This recipe is gluten and dairy free.
This delicious recipe was contributed by our Health Coach, Justine Stenger.
- 3 lbs chicken thighs or legs
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp Italian spice blend
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced
- 5 navel oranges
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1-2 heads red leaf lettuce
- Gather a high powered blender and puree oranges, ginger, thyme, Italian spice blend and lime juice.
- Heat a large stock pot and add orange juice/herb mixture
- Remove the skin from the chicken thighs or legs and place them in your stock pot with the orange juice/herb mixture.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 45-55 min, or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from juice and bring the juice to a boil, cooking it down to a concentrate.
- Once the chicken has cooled, pull the meat off the bone and place in a mixing bowl. Pour orange juice/herb mixture over the chicken and add cilantro. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Serve in red leaf lettuce cups or cabbage cups. Top with green onion and serve immediately.
Note: The chicken can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Justine Stenger received her degree from the University of Alberta in Nutrition and Physical education. She proceeded to pursue a Holistic Nutrition/Therapeutic Chef certification from Bauman College. Justine has completed her Functional Medicine training through the Institute for Functional Medicine and is a Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach, certified through the Institute for Functional Medicine. Justine is a trained Bredesen (RECODE) practitioner and specializes in cell membrane medicine, and works primarily with patients who suffer with neurological conditions, mast cell activation syndrome, Lyme disease, and autoimmune disease.
Justine has worked beside Dr. Bruce Hoffman for the past 10 years and has supported hundreds of Dr Hoffman’s chronic, complex illness patients nutritionally.
University Of Alberta – Nutrition & Physical Education , IFM – Functional Medicine Trained, IFM -Bredesen Practitioner, The dr.Com -Certified Gluten Practitioner, Bauman College – Holistic Nutrition & Certified Therapeutic Chef, Institute For Functional Medicine – Certified Health Coach