- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds
- 2 cups medjool dates
- 2 Tbsp raw coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp filtered water
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ceylon cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup raw cacao nibs
- Gather your food processor and add sunflower seeds, salt, cinnamon, and raw cacao powder. Process until you reach a flour consistency.
- While continuing to process, add coconut oil and medjool dates one at a time.
- Add filtered water and vanilla. You may need to add more water depending on the consistency.
- Pulse in raw cacao nibs.
- Roll batter into balls and roll in additional cocoa nibs if desired. Store balls in the freezer.
There are 5 amazing benefits of raw cacao that I am going to share with you today. Remember raw cacao is not processed with chemicals, this is cocoa in its purist, most nutrient dense form.
1. 40 Times the Antioxidants of Blueberries. – Raw Organic Cacao has over 40 times the antioxidants of blueberries. It has an amazing ORAC score of 98,000 per 100g, vs blueberries at a mere 2,400. ORAC scores measure the ability of antioxidants to absorb free radicals which cause cell and tissue damage and can lead to diseases such as cancer.
2. Highest Plant-Based Source of Iron- Cacao is the highest plant-based source of iron known to man, at a whopping 7.3mg per 100g. This compares to beef and lamb at 2.5mg, and spinach at 3.6mg. Note the iron in cacao is non-heme as it is plant based so it is not the same quality as animal sources of heme iron.
3. Full of Magnesium for a Healthy Heart & Brain-Raw Organic Cacao is also one of the highest plant-based sources of magnesium, the most deficient mineral in the Western world. Magnesium is important for a healthy heart, and helps turn glucose into energy enabling your brain to work with sharp clarity and focus.
4. Excellent Source of Calcium
5. A Natural Mood Elevator and Anti-Depressant-Cacao is a great source of four scientifically proven bliss chemicals – serotonin, tryptophan, tyrosine and phenylethylamine. These neurotransmitters are associated with cosy feelings of wellbeing, happiness, and can even alleviate depression. A natural, healthy, and delicious way to elevate your mood.
Justine Stenger received her degree from the University of Alberta in Nutrition and Physical education. She proceeded to pursue a Holistic Nutrition/Therapeutic Chef certification from Bauman College. Justine has completed her Functional Medicine training through the Institute for Functional Medicine and is a Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach, certified through the Institute for Functional Medicine. Justine is a trained Bredesen (RECODE) practitioner and specializes in cell membrane medicine, and works primarily with patients who suffer with neurological conditions, mast cell activation syndrome, Lyme disease, and autoimmune disease.
Justine has worked beside Dr. Bruce Hoffman for the past 10 years and has supported hundreds of Dr Hoffman’s chronic, complex illness patients nutritionally.
University Of Alberta – Nutrition & Physical Education , IFM – Functional Medicine Trained, IFM -Bredesen Practitioner, The dr.Com -Certified Gluten Practitioner, Bauman College – Holistic Nutrition & Certified Therapeutic Chef, Institute For Functional Medicine – Certified Health Coach